LS3/5a BBC 15Ω Gold Badge
The latest and greatest iteration of the Falcon LS3/5a the Gold Badge edition further improves the crossover.
Falcon Acoustics Gold Badge BBC LS3/5a version features enhanced size BBC Specification Transformer-style inductors with improved saturation and distortion characteristics, also giving additional bass enhancement. Specially developed Falcon capacitors using graded polypropylene film with a very similar sonic signature to the polycarbonate film capacitors used in the Kingswood Warren Limited Edition are deployed throughout.
These two key components, plus ultra-low inductance resistors, all mounted on a new Falcon-designed multi-layer FL6/23 printed circuit board, all hand made to BBC/Falcon specification in the UK/EU and hand-assembled by Falcon in the UK, mean the Gold Badge BBC FL6/23 LS3/5a Crossovers are a major upgrade and result in a quantum leap in sonic capabilities.
A stunning classic re-born, true to the legendary original. This little monitor delivers breathtakingly realistic clarity and detail in a classic package.
The Falcon Acoustics Classic 15 ohm LS3/5a, fully Licenced by the BBC, and hand-assembled by Falcon in Oxford England. It is the only LS3/5a in production that faithfully replicates the original BBC design published in October 1976.
The result of nearly 2 years development, the Falcon LS3/5a Gold Badge is a true British-made classic 15 ohm LS3/5a. It continues the long tradition of the genuine British BBC-Licenced LS3/5a stretching back to the 1960’s.
The drive units are the renowned Falcon B110, and the Falcon T27 tweeter, both designed by Malcolm Jones, the original designer of the KEF B110 and KEF T27 that were specified in the original 15 ohm LS3/5a version designed by the BBC. Both drive units are handmade in the UK to ensure the highest quality, grading and consistency, and are identical to the original LS3/5a drive units. They are unique to Falcon.
The matched 15 ohm BBC Specification FL6/23 filter networks are made exclusively by Falcon in the original transformer-style to BBC Specification and contain inductors specially made in Britain for Falcon to the original specification.
The cabinets are hand made from specially selected graded Baltic Ply, and use selected grade Beech fillets. They are British made to BBC Specification, and are available in a variety of natural wood veneers (see below for pictures of current veneers) with a Tygan Cloth front grille.
- System type: Two-way infinite baffle (sealed box)
- Frequency response: 70Hz – 20kHz ± 3dB
- Sensitivity: 83dB for 2.83V © 1m
- Nominal impedance: 15 ohm
- Bass/Midrange driver: 138mm Falcon Acoustics B110 – Graded and Computer Matched.
- Tweeter: 19mm Falcon Acoustics T27 – Graded and Computer Matched.
- Crossover: Falcon Acoustics FL6/23 (BBC Design) Graded and pair matched components throughout
- Crossover frequency: 3Khz
- Cabinet: Selected grade Baltic Birch Ply, Beech battens, internally damped
- Finished all natural wood veneers: Walnut, Rosewood, Burr Walnut
- Dimensions: 305mm H x 190mm W x 165mm D. Weight 5.35 kgs each