DirectStream DAC MK2
We are very proud to announce the new Mountain Top update for our DirectStream DAC MK2 - Mount Massive. This revolutionary free upgrade, now in beta, brings a new life into an already impressive Digital to Analog converter. As Paul puts it, “This is the single biggest upgrade I have ever heard in the 50 years that I have done this. It’s huge… It’s really, really big” You can download the beta version of our Mount Massive update for free from our downloads page or purchase a USB pre-loaded with Mount Massive.
Since its groundbreaking introduction 8 years ago, the PerfectWave DirectStream has stood alone as one of the most remarkable DACs ever built. We are excited to share with the world the next generation of this technological wonder, the PerfectWave DirectStream DAC MK2. Unlike the vast majority of high-end DACs based on off-the-shelf IC technology, DirectStream MK2 is handwritten, discrete, galvanically isolated, perfection-based conversion that uncovers all the missing information hiding in your digital audio media. CDs, streaming audio, high-resolution PCM or DSD based media are expertly upsampled in the DirectStream MK2 to twenty times DSD rate and output as pure analog directly into your amplifier or preamplifier. There has never been a better sounding DAC at anywhere close to the price of DirectStream MK2. The ground breaking DirectStream DAC was the first choice of thousands of critical listeners worldwide, and now with the introduction of the MK2, that legacy will continue.
A Massive Update
Hear Paul's thoughts on what makes this Mountain Top update our best in 50 years. The Mount Massive beta release update includes:
- Lowered ultrasonic noise by 30dB
- Moved what ultrasonic noise remains out from 30kHz to beyond 100kHz
- Lowered audible noise by 10dB
- Added a new Digital Lens FPGA buffer
- Improved sound quality dramatically
DirectStream MK2 converts every one of its galvanically isolated input signals, both PCM and DSD, to a high sample rate 50 bit version which is further converted to pure DSD for its final conversion to pure analog. Use of twin FPGAs rather than an off-the-shelf DAC chip provides immense processing power, resulting in a complete lack of digital glare, and allows the owner to download our free operating system updates as they are released. With every free upgrade to the operating system, new levels of resolution and audio magic will enrich and make new this remarkable D to A converter.
DirectStream MK2 is the heart of a highly resolving true reference quality digital audio-based system. It handles all PCM sources up to 705.6 kHz, and DSD up to 256. Its zero-loss digital volume control now features 100% galvanically isolated input, outputs, and power supplies.
- 100% DSD BASED D-A CONVERTER
- UPGRADABLE VIA SOFTWARE RELEASES
- VOLUME, BALANCE CONTROL BUILT IN
- UPSAMPLES PCM AND DSD TO 20x DSD RATE
- DXD SUPPORT
- PASSIVE TRANSFORMER COUPLED OUTPUT
- IMPROVES IMAGING + SOUNDSTAGE
- DUAL FPGA PROCESSING
- HANDWRITTEN FILTERS, PROCESSING AND UPSAMPLERS
- IMMUNE TO OUTSIDE SOURCE JITTER PROBLEMS
- INCREASED DIGITAL HEADROOM
- NO OFF-THE-SHELF IC-DAC CHIPS USED
- UNCOVERS DETAILS USUALLY MASKED BY PCM PROCESSORS
- 7x DIGITAL INPUTS
- GALVANICALLY ISOLATED INPUTS AND OUTPUTS
- FULLY BALANCED FROM INPUT TO OUTPUT
- STORE AND INSTALL UP TO 10 FIRMWARE MOUNTAINTOPS